Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools!

I do not like April Fools Day. My second-hand embarrassment plus my fear of looking stupid makes me a poor sport in the case of April Fools pranks. I don't like fooling and I don't like being fooled. Last year's April 1st was the first exception to this rule, after I became the butt of a remarkably well-played joke.

April 1, 2008 started out just like any other day. I biked to school, I ate lunch with friends, and I hated life on the bike ride up Indian Hill on the way home from school. But when my housemate, Margy, came home that night and greeted me with, "Is someone living in our garage?" the day took a turn for the weird.

Apparently, Margy had been looking in the garage for an exercise ball (or something) and stumbled upon a bed. When I went to investigate, I found that -sure enough - there was a sleeping bag, a pillow with a book on top, a jar lid full of cigarette butts, a broken cookie, and even a paper bag with a little bottle of booze sticking out, all hidden behind the spider chair.

Explanations raced through our heads as we ran back into the house to discuss the situation. It had to be someone we knew; otherwise, how would they know that we hardly ever go into the garage? If it was someone we knew, what kind of trouble would spur them to secretly move into our garage instead of just asking for help? Should we leave a note on the garage door explaining that they should just come talk to us and we can probably find a space for them in the house if they need it?

Then it dawned on me. It was April 1st! Margy laughed and yelled that we had been so fooled. But there were more questions to answer: Who did it? How did they know that we would find the bed on April 1st, especially considering that we really never go in the garage?

To be sure that we were right, we returned to the crime scene. With this revelation, the setup did indeed look too perfect to be real. The determining factor, though, were the cigarettes. The jar lid held cigarettes, but no ash, and I ask you - who smokes a cigarette in one place and returns to their bed to deposit the butt in their "ashtray?"

Finally, a call to Kirsten cleared up the entire mystery. She and Phoebe had made the set up and even had plans to sneak out that night when we were all home and make creepy noises in the garage to freak us all out. Turns out, they hadn't planned on Margy going into the garage that day, either. I have to say, I'm pretty glad it didn't get that far; I'm not so sure I would have thought it so great a prank in that case.

So, my friends, that is the story of last year's April Fools Day, the first time that I enjoyed the holiday for what it is - friends playing good-hearted tricks on other friends. I'm still not sold on the holiday, though. So don't get any ideas.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I love this story!

KirstB said...

mwhahhahwhhahhhaahhhhhhhh...... best prank ever..

it is quite revealing though, that neither phoebe or I are smokers..