Thursday, June 5, 2008

Glory to God in the....Desert

I don't remember if Jesus Christ Superstar would have made it into my list of favorite plays as a kid, but it certainly worked its way into my list of most-often-attended plays when I was littler. So when I was browsing the On Demand movie menu on my mom's fancy television the other day and saw it listed, I had to watch it. Turns out that it's not just a movie version of what has become one of my favorite rock operas of all time, but it's a glorious hippy version!

To get a sense of the wonderfulness that is this movie, check out the overture:



It's a little slow-going at first, but at about 1:25, the glory that is the The Bus makes its debut. The movie is essentially a huge group of wonderful, 70s hipsters who go out into the desert and act out Jesus Christ Superstar.

The movie makes me want to take a huge bus into the desert with all my friends and pretend like we're biblical characters reliving the rock spectacle that led to the crucifixion of Jesus! Of course, I'm not so much into role-playing, so we could leave out the acting part and just kind of party in the desert in our own little communities that each have their role in some larger society that we've created especially for our desert excursion.

Or I guess I could just go to Burning Man.

No comments: